Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Can't Keep the Rain Off of My Back

I can't keep this rain
off of my back
the rain that comes down
from these people
I'm around

Mostly, it comes down
in great big torrents
occasionally in very little amounts
but both as cold and biting
as the winter wind

If I had a choice
I would move out from under
this dark cloud
but I can't escape it
It will dwindle slowly

Only to return
as fierce and dark
as ever
Only to return
over my hung head

This cloud of depression
will stay
only to be pushed back
and to come again
to be pushed back once more

If you can't push it back any longer
Raise up your umbrella
to hold it off
and you can forget
the rain that's falling

-- Emily Reade

2 comments:

  1. She is very talented! Hopefully the trip to the guidance counselor was to help her chart a career path for writing. These are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice work, Emily! I assume the guidance counselor wanted some tips from you on how to write poetry. I hope you helped her. They often need a lot of help. Be patient and keep working with her.

    ReplyDelete